A Cover Letter gives you the chance to show recruiters why you’d be good for the job before they’ve even looked at your CV. A bad cover letter could mean that the CV, you’ve spent hours perfecting, won’t even be seen.
- Write individual cover letters for each position you apply for, every single one should be different.
- Explain to the recruiter why you’re what they’re looking for i.e. explain how you fit the Job Description.
- Demonstrate why you’re the best choice with examples to back you up.
- Keep it simple – your cover letter should be 300 words max. Don’t overdo it!
- Try to find out the contacts name so you can personalise your letter/email.
- The first paragraph should explain why you’re writing to them.
- The next paragraph should outline your qualifications and match them to the Job specifications.
- Use bullet points to get maximum impact with minimum words.
- Be Specific – use numbers!
- Be enthusiastic – show that you’ve done your research on the company.
- In the final paragraph point them to your CV and thank them for their time & consideration.