“You never get a second chance to make a first impression”
This saying could not describe the interview process any better, although you will be judged on many factors such as experience, attitude and qualities, your appearance affects the interviewer’s first impressions of you before you’ve even sat down!
So, what do you wear?
Check out the company culture. Do employees of company wear suits or jeans to work every day? You should try to match or be slightly dressier than the normal work attire of the company. Make sure you dress appropriately, whether this is professional, business casual or casual, don’t go OTT – if you turn up in shorts and flip-flops while everyone else is in shorts you will stick out like a sore thumb and highlight the fact you may not fit in within the company.
- Your image is your personal brand, let your personality shine through but not overpower you – dress accordingly.
- Attention to detail – Make sure your make up, perfume or aftershave is natural and not overpowering. Your hair nails and facial hair should be neat and tidy – due to the recent popularity and fashion in facial hair this does not mean you have to be clean shaven.
- It may be a good idea to remove all facial/visible piercings before your job interview.
- Make sure your clothing fits well, is clean and neatly ironed.
- Dress accordingly to the season.
- Stick to smart yet comfortable shoes, make sure you can walk in them – wobbling around on sky high heels is not a good look!